Thursday, May 1, 2008

Families in the scriptures teach me how to strengthen my family.


May 2008, Talk #1

The scriptures are full of stories about families. Adam and Eve were the first family that Heavenly Father sent to earth. We can read about them in the first book of the Bible, Genesis.


Adam and Eve were good parents. We know that they taught their children the gospel. Heavenly Father gave our parents children to care for and to love until they return to him someday.

He wants us all to learn how to be worthy to live with him after this life. Heavenly Father expects parents to teach their children the commandments and to take care of their children’s needs. This
is a great responsibility for our parents.

Heavenly father has taught us that children should love and honor their parents. We can show love for our parents in many different ways.

Two ways that we can love and honor our parents is by being helpful and obedient. When we do these things, we not only show our love for our earthly parents, we also show our love to Heavenly Father.

We can find many stories in the scriptures that are examples of children helping and obeying their parents.

Nephi was obedient when his father Lehi instructed his family that they needed to leave their home and many of their belongings behind so that they could flee the wickedness of their city.

Moroni helped his father by continuing to record the history of his people. Because Moroni was obedient, we are blessed to have the Book of Mormon to help us today.

I am glad that we can read about families in the scriptures. I know that their stories can help me learn how to strengthen my family. I know that by being helpful and obedient my I can help my family to be closer to Heavenly Father.

No comments: