Saturday, March 1, 2008

Jesus Christ showed me how to do the will of Heavenly Father

March 2008, Talk #3

When Jesus was on the earth a lawyer asked him a question. He wanted to know what the most important commandment was. “Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." Matthew 22:36–40

Jesus taught us that it is important to love our neighbors and friends and love the lord.

There are many ways that we can show love for our friends and neighbors such as saying kind things, providing acts of service or inviting them to our homes.

But how do we show our love for the Lord?

Jesus answered this question when he said, “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father” (John 14:21).

The will of Heavenly father is that each of his children obey his commandments so that we can return to live with him someday.

We should obey Heavenly Father's commandments because we love Jesus and Heavenly Father and we want to serve them, not because we are scared that we will be punished if we don't.

Jesus Christ is our example in how we should be obedient to Heavenly Father. Jesus Said: “I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me” (John 6:38)

It is important to obey all of Heavenly Father's commandments even if we think that we can't or don't understand why. The prophet Nephi taught us “I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them” (1 Nephi 3:7).

I am thankful for Jesus Christ's example and that he taught us how to do the will of our Heavenly Father. I know that if we obey the commandments we will be happy and our Father in Heaven will be happy too.

No comments: