Thursday, May 1, 2008

The priesthood can bless and strengthen my family.

May 2008, Talk #4

The priesthood is the eternal power and authority of God.

Through the priesthood God created and governs the heavens
and the earth.

God gives priesthood authority to worthy male members of the Church so they can act in His name.

We must have priesthood authority to act in the name of God when performing the sacred ordinances of the gospel, such as baptism, confirmation, administration of the sacrament, and temple marriage.

The most important exercise of the priesthood takes place in the family. Each husband and father in the Church should strive to be worthy to hold the Melchizedek Priesthood. With his wife as an equal partner, he presides in righteousness and love, serving as the family’s spiritual leader. He leads the family in regular prayer, scripture study, and family home evening.

He works with his wife to teach the children and help them prepare to receive the ordinances of salvation. He gives priesthood blessings for direction, healing, and comfort.

Young men who are members of the church can be ordained to the priesthood when they are 12 years old. Some of you may have an older brother who is a deacon, teacher or priest. These young men can also bring the blessings of the priesthood into our homes.

If your family does not have anyone who holds the priesthood, then your home teachers, priesthood leadership, or members of your ward can help your family to receive the blessings of the priesthood in your home.


Elder Douglas L. Callister of the Seventy shared the following story about the blessings of the priesthood in his family:

Years ago our youngest child had a serious bone tumor in his lower back. When he was taken to the hospital for surgery, I overheard the doctors in the hallway talking about his condition. They said it was likely that nothing could be done to save our boy’s life.


When I went back in my son’s room, I tried to encourage him. I assured him that he was receiving the finest medical care. He said, “Daddy, I’m not counting on the doctors. I’m counting on my blessing. You laid your hands on my head, and you blessed me. And I have faith that the blessing will be fulfilled.”


My son was healed. His life is an example of the power of a priesthood blessing. One of the lessons I’ve learned through my Church service is that our Father in Heaven loves little children. He loves to bless them, and He often blesses them through His priesthood servants.
Friend, Jul 2006, 8–9


I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true. I know that Heavenly Father has given worthy men the power to act in his name. I know that our families can be blessed by this priesthood power.


No comments: